Kees Goudswaard (head of department)
Professor of Applied Economics
Professor of Social Security
Address: Steenschuur 25, 2311 ES Leiden, room A 2.51
Phone: ++31 71 527 7756
Kees Goudswaard (1955) is Professor of Economics at the Law School, Leiden University and Professor of Social Security at the Gak Institute, Leiden University. He is head of the Economics Department at Leiden University. His research areas are: social policy, pensions and public finance.
Goudswaard has been project leader of several research programs, under which the program “Reforming Social Security’’, for which a grant of 2.7 million euro was received from the Gak Institute. In recent years he has done much research on pensions, as a fellow of Netspar, Tilburg University.
He holds several advisory and supervisory positions. At the moment, Goudswaard is a member of the Supervisory Board of the Dutch Central Bank. Also, he is chairman of the committee of the Social and Economic Council that advises the government on the future of the pension system.
- Social Security
- Social Policy
- Public Finance
- Doctoral in economics, graduation with distinction, Free University of Amsterdam (1981)
- Doctor's degree, Leiden University (1988), thesis on public debt management
Main current positions:
- Professor of social security (1995-), GAK Foundation
- Professor of economics (2000-), Faculty of Law, Leiden University
- Head Department of economics, Leiden University (2000-)
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the Dutch Central Bank (2012-)
- Chairman Education Advisory Board Progresz/Capabel, Netherlands School of Social Security (2003-)
- Member Taskforce Montae Pensions, as expert advisor (2011-)
- Reviewer European Sciency Foundation and several journals
- Member Editorial Board Netspar (Network for Studies on Pensions, Aging and Retirement), Tilburg University (2011-)
- Member Editorial Board, Journal Public Finance and Management
- Member Partner Research Council Netspar (2013-)
- Member Advisory Board Pension Executive Program, Erasmus University, Rotterdam (2012-)
- Member Advisory Board Hans van Mierlo Foundation (2012-)
Main former positions:
- Crown-member of the Social and Economic Council (the main government advisory body on social and economic policy in the Netherlands, 1994-2008)
- Member of the Executive Board of the Social and Economic Council (2000-2006)
- Chairman Expert Committee on Social and Economic Policy (Social and Economic Council, 2007-2010)
- Chairman Expert Committee on the sustainability of the pension system (Minister of Social Affairs and Employment, 2009-2010)
- Member of the Central Planning Committee (Advisory Committee of CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis, 1997-2004)
- Member Advisory Committee Macroeconomic Statistics, Statistics Netherlands (2008-2012)
- Member Delta Lloyd Advisory Board (2005-2012)
- Member Achmea Vitale Scientific Advisory Board (2009-2012)
- Member of the board of the Foundation for Public Finance (Drees Stichting, 1999-2012)
- Member of the board of the Dutch Social Security Association (NGSZ, 2007-2012)
- Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport
- Commission of the European Communities
- Netherlands Court of Audit
- Central Bank of the Netherlands Antilles
- Delta Lloyd
- Research Fellow Leiden Law School, Leiden Unversity
- External Fellow Netspar, Tilburg University
- Research program Reform of social security; grant: 2.7 million Euro by GAK Foundation (2005-2014)
- Network for Studies on Pensions, Ageing and Retirement (2014-2017). Medium Vision Grant for project ‘Pension savings and consumption needs of current and future retirees’
- Netspar Topicality Project Grant for project ‘Pension reform and income inequality among older people in 15 European countries’ (2015)
- European Commission FP-7, Neujobs project on European Labour Markets (2011-2012)
- Earlier grants by:
- Network for Studies on Pensions, Ageing and Retirement (2011-2014)
- SNS Reaal Bank (1997-2003)
- Dutch Association of Insurers, Verbond van Verzekeraars (1999-2003)
- GAK Foundation (2004)
- Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs (2004/2005)
- Kees Goudswaard and Koen Caminada (2016), Social security contributions: economic and public finance considerations, International Social Security Review, 68(4), pp. 25-45.
- Jinxian Wang, Koen Caminada, Kees Goudswaard and Chen Wang (2015), 'Decomposing income polarization and tax-benefit changes across 31 European countries and Europe wide, 2004-2012', Department of Economics Research Memorandum 2015.03, Leiden University, 49 p.
- J. Wang, O. Van Vliet and K. Goudswaard, 'Social assistance benefits and European coordination', Department of Economics Research Memorandum 2015.02, Leiden University, 31 p.
- M. Knoef, J. Been, R. Alessie, K. Caminada, K. Goudswaard and A. Kalwij (2016), ‘Measuring retirement savings adequacy: developing a multi-pillar approach in the Netherlands’, Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, 15 (1), 55-89, 2016.
- K.P. Goudswaard and K. Caminada (2014), ‘Private social expenditure and the redistributive impact of the welfare state’, in: Michael Nollert, Monica Budowski, Christopher Young (eds.), Private Macht im Wohlfahrtsstaat: Akteure und Institutionen, Seismo Verlag, Zürich, pp. 188-204.
- M.G. Knoef, J. Been, R.J.M. Alessie, C.L.J. Caminada, K.P. Goudswaard and A.S. Kalwij (2013), 'Measuring retirement savings adequacy: a multi-pillar approach in the Netherlands', Netspar Design Paper 25.
- C. Wang, K. Caminada, and K. Goudswaard (2013), ‘Income redistribution in 20 countries over time’, International Journal of Social Welfare 23 (3): 262-275 (first published on line: 23 Sep 2013; DOI: 10.1111/ijsw.12061).
- O. van Vliet, M. Beblavy, K. Caminada, S. Domonkos, J. Drahokoupil, K. Goudswaard, F. Koster, L. Kureková, J. McQuinn, M. Münderlein, G. Murphy, M. Myant and I. Siedschlag (2013), ‘Labour Relations and Modes of Employment', NEUJOBS Policy Brief D.6.6.
- K. Goudswaard, O. van Vliet, J. Been and K. Caminada (2012/2013), ‘Pensions and income inequality in old age’, CESifo DICE Report 4/2012, pp. 21-26.
- K. Caminada, K.P. Goudswaard and C. Wang (2012), ‘Disentangling Income Inequality and the Redistributive Effect of Taxes and Transfers in 20 LIS Countries Over Time’, LIS Working Paper Series 581.
- O. van Vliet, K. Caminada and K. Goudswaard (2012), 'The Political Economy of Labour Market Policies in Western and Eastern European Countries', NEUJOBS Working Paper D6.3, Leiden University, 40 p.
- C. Wang, K. Caminada, and K. Goudswaard (2012), ‘The redistributive effect of social transfer programs and taxes: a decomposition across countries’, International Social Security Review 65(3), pp. 27-48.
- O. van Vliet, J. Been, K. Caminada and K. Goudswaard (2012), 'Pension reform and income inequality among the elderly in 15 European countries', International Journal of Social Welfare, vol. 21, no. 4(s1), pp. S8-S21.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2012), ‘The Relationship Between Alternative Measures of Social Spending and Poverty Rates’, The International Review of Business and Social Sciences 1(5), pp. 8-25. (Annex: Data and Sensitivity Analysis click here
- K. Caminada, K. Goudswaard and F. Koster (2012), 'Social income transfers and poverty: A cross-country analysis for OECD countries’, International Journal of Social Welfare, 21(2), pp. 115-126 (doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2397.2011.00815.x).
- O. Van Vliet, J. Been, K. Caminada and K. Goudswaard, 'Pension reform and income inequality among the elderly in 15 European countries', Department of Economics Research Memorandum 2011.03, Leiden University, 29 p.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2010), How well is social expenditure targeted to the poor?, in: P. Saunders and R. Sainsbury (eds.), Social Security, Poverty and Social Exclusion in Rich and Poorer Countries, International Studies on Social Security, volume 16, Mortsel, Belgium: Intersentia, pp. 97-112.
- K. Caminada, K.P. Goudswaard and O.P. van Vliet (2010), 'Patterns of Welfare State Indicators in the EU: Is there Convergence?', Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 529-556.
- K. Caminada, K.P. Goudswaard and F. Koster (2010), 'Social Income Transfers and Poverty Alleviation in OECD Countries’, Department of Economics Research Memorandum 2010.01, Leiden University.
- K.P. Goudswaard and K. Caminada (2010), 'The redistributive effect of public and private social programs: a cross-country empirical analysis', International Social Security Review, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 1-19.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2009), 'Social Expenditure and Poverty Reduction in the EU15 and other OECD Countries', Department of Economics Research Memorandum 2009.02, Leiden University, 33 p.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2008), ‘Effectiveness of poverty reduction in the EU. A descriptive analysis’, Department of Economics Research Memorandum 2008.06, Universiteit Leiden, 51 p.
- K. Caminada, K.P. Goudswaard and O.P. van Vliet (2008), 'Patterns of welfare state indicators in the EU: Is there convergence?', Department of Economics Research Memorandum 2008.05, Universiteit Leiden, 22 p.
- K.P. Goudswaard and K. Caminada (2008), 'The redistributive impact of public and private social expenditure', Department of Economics Research Memorandum 2008.04, Universiteit Leiden, 16 p.
- K. Caminada and K. Goudswaard (2008), 'Revenue Effects of Tax Facilities for Pension Savings', Atlantic Economic Journal 36(2), pp. 233-246.
- K. Goudswaard, K. Caminada and H. Vording (2006), 'Financing the welfare state', Tax Notes International 42(8), 22 May 2006, pp. 731-737.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2005), 'Are Public and Private Social Expenditures Complementary?', International Advances in Economic Research 11(2), pp. 175-189.
- K. Caminada and K.P Goudswaard (2004), 'The fiscal subsidy on pension savings in the Netherlands', Tax Notes International 33(13), 29 March 2004, pp. 1231-1240.
- K.P. Goudswaard and B. van Riel (2004), 'Social protection in Europe: do we need more coordination?', TvA / Dutch Journal of Labour Studies 20(3), pp. 236-248.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2002), 'Income Distribution and Social Security in an OECD Perspective', in: R. Sigg and C. Behrendt (eds.), Social Security in the Global Village, International Social Security Series, Volume 8, Transaction Publishers, New Brunswick / Londen, pp. 163-188.
- P.A. Cornelisse and K.P. Goudswaard (2002), 'On the convergence of social protection systems in the European Union', International Social Security Review 55(3), pp. 3-17.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2001), 'Does a Flat Rate Personal Income Tax Reduce Tax Progressivity? A Simulation for the Netherlands', Public Finance & Management 1(4), pp. 471-500.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2001), 'International Trends in Income Inequality and Social Policy', International Tax and Public Finance 8(4), pp. 395-415.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (2001), 'The Final Tax Reform'? Effects of a Flat Rate Individual Income Tax', European Taxation 41(2), pp. 42-46.
- H. Vording and K.P. Goudswaard (1998), 'Legal Indexation of Social Security Benefits: an International Comparison of Systems and Their Effects', in: Th. Marmor, Ph. de Jong (eds.), Ageing, Social Security and Affordability, Ashgate Publishing Ltd., Aldershot, England, pp. 61-76.
- H. Vording and K.P. Goudswaard (1997), 'Indexation of Public Pension Benefits on a Legal Basis: Some Experiences in European Countries', International Social Security Review 50(3), pp. 31-44.
- K. Caminada and K.P. Goudswaard (1996), 'Progression and Revenue Effects of Income Tax Reform', International Tax and Public Finance 3(1), pp. 57-66.
- K.P. Goudswaard, V. Halberstadt and H.M. van de Kar (1995), 'The Demand for Public Sector Intervention in a European Welfare State', in: R. Benjamin e.a. (eds.), Balancing State Intervention, Rand, New York, pp. 147-174.
- K.P. Goudswaard and H.M. van de Kar (1994), 'The Impact of Demographic Change on Tax Revenue', Atlantic Economic Journal 22(3), pp. 52-60.
- K.P. Goudswaard, V. Halberstadt and H.M. van de Kar (1992), 'Dutch social policy in the 1980's: a changing role of the public sector?' Atlantic Economic Journal 20(2), pp. 21-29.
- K.P. Goudswaard (1990), 'Determinants of Public Debt Maturities', De Economist 138(1), pp. 33-46.
- J. de Haan, K.P. Goudswaard and D. Zelhorst (1990), 'Real Deficits and Real Growth: Empirical Evidence for 10 Countries', in: G. Krause-Junk (ed.), Public Finance and Steady Economic Growth, Proceedings of the 45th Congress of the International Institute of Public Finance, pp. 221-230.
- I. Byatt, E. Gjelsvik, K.P. Goudswaard and H.M. van de Kar (1990), 'Energy Exploitation and Public Finances in European Countries', in: V. Tanzi (ed.), Public Finance, Trade and Development, Proceedings of the 44th Congress of the Internaional Institute of Public Finance, Detroit, pp. 223-242.
- K.P. Goudswaard (1990), 'Budgetary Policies in the Netherlands: 1982-1990' Finanzarchiv, Band 48, Heft 2, pp. 271-284.
- K.P. Goudswaard and V. Halberstadt (1986), Aspects of Debt Management and Monetary Policy in Small Open Economies', in: B.P. Herber (ed.), Public Finance and Public Debt, Proceedings of the 40th Congress of the International Institute of Public Finance, Detroit, pp. 343-360.
- K.P. Goudswaard and Ph.R. de Jong (1985), 'The distributional impact of current income transfer policies in the Netherlands', The Journal of Social Policy 14(3), pp. 367-383.
- B.L. Wolfe, Ph.R. de Jong, R.H. Haveman, V. Halberstadt and K.P. Goudswaard (1985), 'The Contribution of Income Transfers to Lagging Economic Performance: the United States and the Netherlands in the 1970s', in: G. Terny and A.J. Culyer (eds.), Public Finance and Social Policy, Proceedings of the 39th Congress of the International Institute of Public Finance, Detroit, pp. 109-121.
- V. Halberstadt, K. Goudswaard and B. le Blanc (1984), 'Current Control Problems with Public Expenditure in Five European Countries', in: M. Emerson (ed.), Europe's Stagflation, Oxford, pp. 122-149.
- B.L. Wolfe, Ph.R. de Jong, R.H. Haveman, V. Halberstadt and K.P. Goudswaard (1984), 'Income Transfers and Work Effort: The Netherlands and The United States in the 1970s', Kyklos 37(4), pp. 609-637.
- V. Halberstadt, R.H. Haveman, B.L. Wolfe and K.P. Goudswaard (1981), The Economics of Disability Policy in Selected European Community Countries: a Preliminary Study and a Proposal for Further Research, Report for the Commission of the European Communities, Leiden.